Tuesday 13 September 2011

EXP1 Submission

 
Song Used: Ikebukuro West Exit Five-way Intersection - Makoto Yoshimori (Durarara!! OST)

With the idea of Pure War in mind, I decided upon a concept regarding the pursuit of everyday comforts, homeliness and safety when in constant fear of the unknown. I decided to create a model which I called the "Safe-box" (viewable here). While I was not able to actually incorporate this object into gameplay, the video above shows my design and intent.

The Safe-Box intends to evoke a sense of homeliness, especially when placed in the Quarry environment. The outer texture served not only to compliment the surroundings but also implied safeness, a strong outer shell to protect from warfare (and gunfire during a game). A window was added so that one could see that the interior of the Safe-Box appeared warm and inviting, much like a home away from home. However, as a cruel twist of fate, I added a Proximity Trigger with a flowchart in front of where the entrance should've been that instantly inflicted 9999 Damage (over 9000!) to the player, killing them instantly.

This concept reflects Pure War in a metaphorical sense, where people and societies are presented with the idea of a peaceful, comfortable lifestyle yet exist in a constant fear of war, be it figurative or literal.


Problems Encountered: An Explanation of Inadequacy
(below the cut)

  • Frequent technical malfunctions - Sandbox crashing at opening screen, crashing mid-mod, crashing when cursor was moved too quickly, etc. Coupled with a horrible case of 'n00b' and bad time management, this was not an excellent experience.
  • After exporting the object from SketchUp, Sandbox did not show any option enabling me to select my object. Despite my efforts it only allowed for the default object box, whose objects didn't work with the Flowgraph anyway.
  • Issues with converting the Fraps .avi files to something I could use with Movie Maker (since all four versions of Sony Vegas I downloaded either konked out or turned out to be viruses). Would have submitted this at least in the afternoon if not for my many attempts at converting in vain. Horribly time consuming and now leaving me with a VERY VERY late submission.

Nonetheless I have learnt from this experience and now know what to expect from EXP2. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment